14 March 2010

SXSW afternoon

Alright, I'd like to write all night, but that's not wise if I'm going to enjoy tomorrow at all. (Mostly movies tomorrow, btw.) But here's the lowdown:
--Danah Boyd gave a fabulous speech on privacy and social networking. I really wish I'd heard this talk before I taught privacy in February. I will hopefully post her speech when it goes online.
--Next was a discussion about going to the moon. The consensus of the panel seemed to be that private companies will get there before NASA. Amanda Stiles represented the Google XPrize on the panel; I feel she should have stolen the show, but she left that to Dave Masten, himself a former Xprize winner.
--Last panel of the day was a fun discussion title "Big Brother on the Big Screen: Fact or Fiction". Led by the EFF and ACLU), it was a fun way to end the day.
--This evening I got to watch Michel Gondry's beautiful documentary about his Aunt Suzette. It's inspiration to us all to film our families in an effort to record who we really are.

And, after that, I was exhausted from a day of sitting, so I came home. Tomorrow's likely schedule: cartography, zero waste, and movies on Afghanistan, opera and Mr. Nice.

No comments: