13 March 2010

Austin's public transit

The more I learn about Austin buses (& soon to be 1 train line) the more I'm frustrated.
What's been in the news recently is the new trains. However, I find it hard to believe that it's really going to make any kind of impact on life in Austin. There's just not enough service to matter, and certainly not for the price tag the city has had to pick up.
What I would rather see is for there to be many more buses. The sporadic service is so inconvenient as to be non-existent. Today, for example, there are two bus lines that I can choose from, but neither stops more than every 30 minutes, and neither will allow me to stay downtown past midnight.
I'd like to see this cost comparison: for the money that was spent on this new train line, how many buses could have been added to the system? If bus service could be doubled--maybe 70% more daytime buses and run hourly all night--then I bet ridership would quadruple. And I suspect that kind of increase could have happened for the money that's been laid out for this sexy train line.
I'm not one of those who expects public transportation to ever make a profit, but I do expect it to make a difference in the lives of the majority of residents. Austin's Capital Metro fails to do that.

1 comment:

RiCkW said...

Slight correction: there is an _alternative_ route that will get me home at night. Fortunately, I live along Lamar where it runs.