23 March 2010

The People vs George Lucas

It should go without saying that a large part of the culture of my generation (who are we, the Xers?) was determined by Star Wars. And so it was that on a gorgeous afternoon last week I lined up one hour early for a screening of The People vs George Lucas. The movie wasn't such the diatribe against Mr. Lucas like the title might seem. The main arguments were predictable: the redoing the original trilogy (including Jabba in Star Wars, digitizing some space scenes, etc.) and taking jabs at the prequel trilogy (enter Jar Jar Binks). Going into the movie I was afraid that it would be quite anti-Lucas, but I was relieved that it was pretty good-natured. Sure, it poked fun at him. Of course, he's made some PR blunders, and I really, really, don't like Episode I, but I feel that he's earned the right to do whatever he wants--and I was glad that the film does acknowledge this point. Rather, this movie kindly pokes fun at the personalities of our generation who so venerate the films. And to that, I plead guilty. I laughed wholeheartedly the entire lenght of this film. Rumor on the Austin streets last week was that this will get a release this fall, so keep an eye on the independent theater near you.

No comments: