16 March 2010

He got lucky, I got bored

I've quite enjoyed the interactive panels that I've been to this year (here, here and here). But for some reason, the overall Interactive Conference isn't pulling me in like before. Perhaps I've changed. Perhaps the entrepreneurs and programmers that are most of the crowd don't engage me like they used to. I don't know, but on Sunday I left for the kite festival, and Monday afternoon I split the Convention Center and went to three movies. (see next post on movies). 

One thing I have to comment on: Evan Williams's discussion was a bore. He is one of the founders of Twitter, so thousands of people gathered yesterday to listen to him with very high expectations. I've never seen him before, so I don't know if it was the setting of the one-on-one interview or what, but people soon started filing out and by the end, maybe 1/3 of the seats were still occupied. I optimistically stayed hoping for a blockbuster ending, but that didn't come. Only repetitions of his message to "be open to new ideas." The most insightful thing he had to say was "I got lucky."  Based on what I saw yesterday, I'd say you got that right, sir.

No comments: